I love roasted chicken, and I especially love that it’s cheaper to buy a rotisserie chicken at the grocery than it is to buy a raw chicken and roast it yourself in the oven. Whole uncooked chicken is getting more expensive to buy – it can be up to $8 dollars or more at my local grocery store, but a rotisserie chicken is only around $5 or $6. I always opt for saving money when it comes to food, because I’d prefer to spend the savings on traveling.
Since I’m single, I am usually cooking for one; sometimes two, if my roomate, Nicole hasn’t eaten. Sandwiches are often an easy and simple meal that I can whip up quickly. I’m not a huge fan of sandwiches, but when they are well-made, I will gobble them up. Correction – I will inhale them.
Tonight, I made the most fabulous sandwich ever, using leftover roast chicken. It was so, so good.
I toasted sourdough bread with the roast chicken until the bread was crispy and brown to my liking. Meanwhile, I sautéed whole cloves of garlic and sliced organic mushrooms in butter with a little, salt, pepper and herbs de provence. Add a slice of cheddar cheese, some fresh microgreens, and honey mustard salad dressing on top, and you have yourself the most fabulous sandwich ever made. It was so good that I am making myself hungry again.
Leftover Roast Chicken Sandwich with Microgreens and Mushrooms
- Sourdough French Bread Loaf
- Leftover Roast Chicken
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 4 Button Mushroom Sliced
- 3 Whole Cloves of Garlic Peeled
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Herbs de Provence
- Honey Mustard Salad Dressing
- Slice of Cheddar Cheese
Toast the Bread:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut your Sourdough French Bread Loaf into quarters. Take one quarter, and slice it into two.
- Top one side of the bread with your leftover roast chicken pieces.
- Toast the bread and chicken in the oven or toaster oven for 5 minutes. (The time will vary, depending on how crispy you want the bread. Check the oven frequently to ensure that your bread doesn’t get over toasted or burnt.)
Sautee the Mushrooms and Garlic:
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet on medium heat, melt the butter. Add the whole garlic and sliced mushrooms. Stir and add the seasonings. Add salt and black pepper, to taste. Add the herbs de provence (or Italian seasoning).
- Sautee the mushrooms and garlic until all the butter has been absorbed. The mushrooms should be nice and slightly brown at the edges.
Assemble the Sandwich:
- Take the bread and chicken out of the oven. Add the slice of cheddar cheese on top of the chicken.
- Add the sauteed mushrooms and garlic on top of the cheese.
- Finish with a handful of microgreens (or your favorite sprouts.)
- Pour the honey mustard salad dressing on top. Alternately, if you want to be more polite, you can use a knife and slather it on the other piece of bread.