I can’t believe it’s been half a year since I last posted. I haven’t disappeared – I promise. I’ve been swamped with work (and my wedding photography business has blossomed in the last year). But I’m back and I’ll try my best to be better about blogging.
I love my food, so here we go. This is what I had for dinner tonight – garlicky kale with carrot greens (also called carrot tops).
I was recently in Madison, Wisconsin and I picked up some Amish butter, and man is it good. You don’t know what butter tastes like until you have homemade butter. So creamy and delicious. I decided to sauté my kale and carrot greens using this Amish butter, and it was so, so good.
Speaking of carrot tops, did you know that they are edible?
Yes, you can totally eat them!
For years, I’ve been throwing away the greens that grow on carrots. I didn’t realize you could eat them, but you can! You can throw them in soups; use it in pesto; or use like parsley. I love sautéing them.
In their raw form, the greens do have a distinct carrot leaf smell, but it reminds me of carrots, so I love it!
If you have food allergies, you might want to eat carrot greens in moderation. Carrot greens contain alkaloids and nitrates, which may cause adverse reactions in some people. Like with anything new, moderation is key.
I have no allergies in general, so I enjoy my carrot tops.
And this recipe is so delicious. Great for vegetarians, and you can alter it to make it vegan.
To make this vegan, substitute olive oil for butter, and omit the cheese at the end.
Since I’m not vegetarian and I need protein, I sautéed shrimp in the same pan with that oh-so-delicious Amish butter. A squeeze of lemon/lime later, this dish is to die for. So healthy and yummy!
Sautéed Kale with Garlic and Carrot Greens
- 2 Bunches of Kale Chopped
- 1 Bunch of Carrot Greens Tops of 1-2 Carrots
- 4 Cloves Garlic Thinly Sliced
- 2 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Herbs of Provence or Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt more or less, to taste
- Black Pepper To Taste
- Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese To Taste
- Rinse kale and carrot greens well.
- Thinly slice the garlic. Coarsely chop the kale and carrot greens. Discard any big stems.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. (To make this vegan, use olive oil instead). Cook the garlic briefly. Then add the chopped kale, a few handfuls at a time, stirring until kale is wilted. Add the carrot greens.
- Season with garlic powder, Italian seasoning, sea salt and black pepper.
- Cook until greens are wilted and tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Move from heat. Grate fresh Parmesan cheese on top and serve.