There’s something about summertime that makes me crave pork. Maybe it’s the memory of barbecues and grilling ribs and burgers, but I have been in a porky mood. This week, I made Pulled Pork in my 6QT Instant Pot, and it was amazing. Best of all, it was SO, SO EASY.
I used a pork butt roast because that’s what I had on hand, but you can use any kind of pork roast with this recipe. Pork shoulder would also work great. As long as you have a good store bought (or homemade) barbecue sauce on hand, this recipe will taste amazing! Our family’s favorite BBQ Sauce is Sweet Baby Ray’s.
Make sure you have plenty of hamburger buns on hand because one sandwich simply won’t be enough. My husband ate three of these during dinner. They’re sweet and savory, and oh, so finger lickin’ good.
The Instant Pot is a life saver. Traditionally, you make pulled pork using a Slow Cooker, but I am always in a rush (due to the fact that I have a very active toddler), so I don’t ever plan hours in advance. I usually start thinking about dinner a few hours before we eat.
There are three steps to making this delicious BBQ Pulled Pork in the Instant Pot:
- First, you’ll want to season the pork with your favorite dry spices. I am simple and like to use garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Then, you’ll sear the meat using the “Saute” function in the Instant Pot.
- Finally, you’ll add a liquid (I use the juice of one orange and 1 cup of beef broth). Cook on Manual Pressure for 75 minutes for very tender meat.
Making pulled pork in the Instant Pot couldn’t be easier. I hope you enjoy your sandwich as much as we did in our house!
Instant Pot Barbecue Pulled Pork Recipe
- Instant Pot
- 4 to 5 lb pork butt (or pork shoulder), cut into 3 chunks
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 orange, juiced (optional)
- 1 cup your favorite BBQ sauce
- Take out the pork out of the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Trim off any excess fat. Cut into three large chunks (so that it will be able to fit in the Instant Pot)Season with garlic powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Using the "Saute" function of the Instant Pot, heat the oil until it's very hot. Sear all sides of the pork. (You will need to work in batches.) Remove the seared meat when it's nicely browned on the outside.
- Add the beef broth and the juice of one orange (optional). Add all the seared meat back into the Instant Pot. Cook on Manual – High Pressure for 75 minutes.
- Quick release and open the Instant Pot. Remove the cooked pork to a plate and shred using a fork. Add the barbecue sauce and mix until it's well-combined. You can add even more barbecue sauce, if desired.
- Enjoy the barbecue pulled pork on sandwich buns.