When I’m trying to cut back on eating out, I love to make restaurant-style meals at home. This easy beef and broccoli recipe is super simple and delicious. It will definitely hit the spot, and it uses Asian pantry staples, like oyster sauce and soy sauce. So easy to make, it’s perfect for a weeknight dinner when you don’t have a ton of time.
This recipe is also very versatile. If you don’t have broccoli on hand, you can use any of your favorite greens. You can use bok choy, kale, broccolini … any green that you want.
I had this beautiful broccoli that looked like it was about to bloom. I chopped up the head into florets. Don’t throw away the stem. It’s actually pretty tender. I sliced it into matchsticks and stir-fried it with the rest of the broccoli.
If you don’t have beef on hand, you can also make this recipe with leftover steak. Just slice it against the grain and toss it in right before you add in the sauce.
I simply love this recipe. It’s so versatile, and the sauce is quite delicious! If you have a jar of black bean sauce, it will elevate the stir-fry sauce to a new depth of flavor. It’s so delicious! You can find black bean sauce at your local Asian grocery store (most likely in the Korean aisle, or with the other sauces.)
Enjoy and happy eating!
Easy Beef and Broccoli Recipe
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb your favorite cut of beef, sliced thinly
- 1 lb broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces (slice the stems into thin matchsticks)
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 1/4-inch ginger, sliced thinly
- 4 green onions, chopped into 1-inch long pieces
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp black bean sauce (optional)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 3 tbsp sake or Chinese cooking wine
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp black ground pepper
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Mix together all the ingredients for the stir-fry sauce.
- Marinate the beef slices with 1 tbsp of the sauce. Allow to marinate for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large wok over medium-high heat, add the oil, garlic, ginger, and broccoli. Stir-fry for 3-4 minutes, or until the broccoli starts to become more tender. Then spread the vegetables to the sides of the wok. Add the beef in the center and spread the slices out on the pan. (The more contact the beef has with the pan, the less stewing you will have.)
- Allow the beef to sear for 1 minute, before you mix everything together. Continue to cook until the beef is nearly cooked. Then add the stir-fry sauce. Cook until the sauce is thickened.
- Add the green onion pieces and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and serve with rice.