This easy beef and Thai basil stir-fry is perfect for a busy weeknight dinner. Super simple and delicious, you can have dinner on the table in less than ten minutes using ingredients you already have in your fridge.
Quarantine life (especially with a little toddler running around) has kept us very busy, so I don’t have a ton of time to make complicate meals during the weekdays. Simple recipes that don’t require a lot of steps is how I cook these days, and this Beef and Thai Basil Stir-Fry is one of my favorites recently.
My dad, who has a very green thumb, gave me four pots of Thai Basil plants and they are growing like weeds. Usually, I only eat Thai Basil with my Pho, but there’s only so much pho that you can make (and eat) without getting tired of it. But Thai Basil tastes delicious in a stir-fry.
I stir-fried my Thai Basil leaves with ground beef, but you could use any ground meat that you’d like. It would taste equally as delicious with ground bison, ground turkey or chicken, or even ground pork. Saute with your favorite vegetables (I used green beans and bell peppers from my backyard garden) and enjoy over noodles or rice. It’s so delicious!
Easy Beef and Thai Basil Stir-Fry Recipe
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped into chunks
- 1 lb ground beef (any meat will work – bison, turkey, chicken, etc.)
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2 Thai red chilis, chopped (optional, for spiciness)
- 1 cup Thai basil leaves
- 4 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- Rice or noodles
- Make the stir-fry sauce. Combine the oyster sauce, fish sauce, and sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the garlic chunks and ground beef and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until it's mostly cooked.
- Add the vegetables (bell peppers and green beans) and stir-fry until they are softened (another 2-3 minutes).
- Add the stir-fry sauce and red chilis (if using), and mix well to combine. Cook for another 1-2 minutes. Then add the Thai basil. Turn off heat and continue to cook until the basil is wilted.
- Serve with rice or noodles.