I love the taste of roasted lamb, whether it’s a rack of lamb or a lamb chop or a roasted leg. There’s a slight gamey taste to it, so it’s not for everyone, but I think when seasoned correctly, lamb is absolutely delicious. My inspiration for this dish comes from poulet rôti, or French market rotisserie chicken that’s roasted and the fat drips down over sliced, tender potatoes.
When Josh and I were in Paris for our anniversary a year and a half ago, we would pass these little markets with delicious and tender chicken and the potatoes coated with its fat. Mmm, just thinking about it makes me hungry. But this blog post isn’t about chicken, it’s about lamb.
At the grocery store, there was a sale on a boneless leg of lamb, and I thought why not roast this over sliced potatoes? The result was delicious and I am excited to share it with you.
You can use any herbs that you want for this recipe. I am using a boneless leg of lamb because that’s what was available to me. But if you have a leg of lamb with a bone, you can still make this amazing dish.
Bon appetit and if you make this, let me know what you think in the comments below. Happy cooking!
Herb Roasted Boneless Leg of Lamb with Potatoes
- 3-4 lb boneless lamb leg
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 large baking potatoes, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line your roasting dish with aluminum foil. Scatter your thinly sliced potatoes on the bottom. Toss with a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper (to taste.)
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic, lemon juice, chopped fresh rosemary and oregano, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and Dijon mustard. Mix well.
- Pat the boneless lamb leg dry. Place in a mixing bowl. Then coat with olive oil, salt and pepper (to taste). Add the garlic and lemon juice mixture (from step 2) all over the lamb leg. Massage all the delicious seasonings into the lamb leg.
- Place the lamb leg over the sliced potatoes. Roast in the oven for 1 hour, 20 minutes, or until your desire doneness. If you like your meat medium rare, cook for 1 hour, 10 minutes. Then use a meat thermometer to check the temperature. Medium is 135-140 degrees F. Well-done is anywhere between 150 to 155°F.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 15 minutes before carving. Serve and enjoy!