The Instant Pot is life. Seriously y’all. I use my Instant Pot almost every night for dinner. It speeds up my cooking time and my meat always just falls right off the bone. It’s seriously the best.
The other night, we made Instant Pot Braised Short Ribs for dinner. It takes some preparation time (gathering the ingredients, cooking the red wine sauce), but it’s well-worth the effort. The short ribs are pressure cooked for 45 minutes with a 15 minute natural release, and when you eat them, they will literally fall off the bone. They’re so tender and full of red wine flavor. It’s delicious. Tastes amazing over homemade mashed potatoes too.
Making this recipe is super simple. I had about 1 pound of short ribs. I browned them in the Instant Pot. Then, I sautéed garlic, onions, celery, carrots, and mushrooms until they were browned. Deglaze with red wine (dry is best), chicken stock (but you can also use beef stock), balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, and soy sauce. Then pressure cooked for 45 minutes. The result is amazing.
Instant Pot Red Wine Braised Short Ribs
- 1 lb beef short ribs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 package white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 chicken (or beef) bouillon cube
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 bay leaf
For Thickening the Stock
- 2 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 3 tbsp water
Brown the Short Ribs
- Generously season the short ribs with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Add olive oil to the Instant Pot. Select Sauté mode and wait until the IP reads HOT.
- Brown the short ribs in batches until each side is nicely browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
Making the Sauce
- Sauté the onion and garlic for a few minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery, and mushrooms and sauté until they start to soften slightly. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and the Italian seasoning.
- When the mushrooms start to brown, deglaze the pan with your red wine. Scrub the bottom of the pan and let the wine simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the bouillon cube, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, and bay leaf. Cook until the bouillon cube has dissolved and the the soup has come to a nice boil.
- Add back in the browned short ribs.
- Pressure Cook on High for 45 minutes. Let it naturally release for 15 minutes. (One hour total cook time).
Thicken the Sauce
- On Sauté mode, bring the mixture to a simmer. Add your slurry of cornstarch mixed with water and stir until the sauce has thickened to your liking.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or your favorite carb. This also tastes great over pasta.
Leave a Reply