Korean Chicken Fried Rice is a fun twist of the traditional fried rice that everyone loves. I enjoy mine with a handful of kimchi, and it elevates this dish to a whole new level.
There’s nothing more satisfying when you’re hungry than a good bowl of fried rice. It’s packed full of protein, and rice really fills you up. I grew up eating fried rice cooked with Chinese sausage, and to this day, a bowl of fried rice just isn’t fried rice unless it has Chinese sausage in it.
If you’ve never had Chinese sausage, you’re missing out. It brings a sweetness to the savory dish, and it’s just so delicious. Oh my goodness, it’s so yummy.
Another reason that I absolutely love fried rice is that kids love eating it. You can hide all kinds of vegetables inside it. I cook mine with a cup of frozen mixed vegetables, and my little toddler just eats it up. Although this Korean fried rice is a little spicy with the addition of gochujang (Korean red chili paste), my son absolutely loves it.
This Korean Chicken Fried Rice is different than kimchi fried rice, but they’re very similar. I don’t use any of the kimchi or its juice to make this – I used gochujang for spiciness. I ate the fried rice with kimchi, and it was so good.
Gochujang is a staple in Korean cooking. It elevates Bibimbap to an entire new level, and it has such a delicious flavor. It’s a Korean red chili paste that is sticky, concentrated with flavors, and spicy (but not too spicy). You can buy it at your local Asian grocery store, or online on Amazon.
To make this Korean Chicken Fried Rice spicier, drizzle Sriracha sauce on top. Sriracha makes everything better. You can also sprinkle chili flakes on top if you don’t have any Sriracha on hand. Enjoy and happy eating!
Korean Chicken Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb chicken breasts, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 Chinese sausages, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 4 cups Jasmine rice, cooked
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 2 scallions, chopped
For the Sauce
- 2 tbsp Gochujang (red chili paste)
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Stir together the ingredients for the sauce (Gochujang, soy sauce, and sesame oil) and set aside. Use 1 tsp to marinate the chopped chicken. Let sit for 10 minutes before you begin cooking the fried rice.
- Heat oil in a wok or medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Then add in your marinated chicken. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the outside of the chicken is slightly cooked.
- Add the Chinese sausage and carrots. Stir-fry for a few minutes, or until the carrot starts to wilt. Then, add the frozen vegetables and cook for another minute.
- Add the cooked Jasmine rice and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until everything is well combined.
- Make a hole in the center of your wok and crack the eggs. Let the outside edges cook slightly before you mix in the rice. Cook for a few more minutes until everything is well-combined.
- Add in the sauce and stir-fry until the rice and all the vegetables are evenly coated in the sauce. Add in the scallions and turn off the heat. Stir to combine everything.
- To serve, top your Korean Chicken Fried Rice with a handful of Kimchi. Enjoy!