Filet mignon, there’s no better dinner when you are starving and don’t have a ton of time. This is my recipe on how to cook filet mignon. I pan sear it on my cast iron grill pan, and then cook it on high heat in the oven for 5-7 minutes. It’s delicious and super easy to make. This filet mignon recipe is great for a weeknight dinner.
I want to apologize for not posting any recipes on my cooking blog since September! With a very active toddler running around, a busy work schedule, my hobbies have been on the back burner.
OK, back to this Filet Mignon recipe. Oh my goodness is it delicious.
Filet Mignon is an expensive cut of meat, but it’s also the most tender. My husband buys a package of filet mignon every few weeks at Costco for about $45 for 6 steaks. It’s always a special treat for me, because beef is my favorite protein and I am always craving more protein in my diet due to breastfeeding.
It’s so easy to make. It takes less than 10 minutes and it pairs well with so many side dishes, from rice to potatoes to steamed or roasted vegetables. I love me some good steak!
I use my cast iron grill pan for this recipe, but you can use a normal cast iron skillet as well (or any skillet that you want – you just want to ensure that your skillet gets REALLY HOT so that it sears the meat well.)
You can use any of your favorite seasonings. Make sure you heavily season it with salt and pepper. There’s a lot of meat in a filet mignon, so you don’t want to under-season it.
Make sure you OPEN ALL YOUR WINDOWS so that you don’t set off the fire alarm. So yummy! I even made a Youtube video with my adorable toddler cooking this filet mignon recipe. Check it out:
Perfect Filet Mignon Recipe using a Cast Iron Skillet
- Cast Iron Skillet
- 4 filet mignon steaks (6 oz)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- your favorite meat rub, to taste
- 1 tbsp neutral cooking oil, like grape seed or vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 sprig of rosemary or thyme (optional)
- Remove the filet mignon from the fridge. Dry with paper towels and allow it to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Season ALL sides of the filet mignon with a GENEROUS amount of salt and pepper and your favorite meat rub. (You may use any spices you like).
- Over high heat on the stove, add a cast iron skillet and allow it to get hot. This may take 3-5 minutes. When the pan starts to smoke, add the oil. Wait 30 seconds, or until the oil is nice and smoking.
- Sear the filet mignon. Wait 2 to 3 minutes, or until a nice sear has formed. Then flip the steak over.
- Add butter, garlic, and any fresh herbs you want to use to flavor the butter. When the butter has melted, tilt the pan and spoon the butter over your steak.
- Transfer to the oven for 6-7 minutes for a medium rare steak.
- Allow the meat to rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with your favorite sides. Bon appétit!
Leave a Reply