We eat too much meat in our house – lots of chicken and beef. So this week, I wanted to mix it up a little and make Teriyaki Salmon. It’s so juicy, bursting with delicious flavor and can be enjoyed over a bed of white rice or along side some crisp vegetables.
My husband is part Japanese, so he loves teriyaki anything. I love fish, especially salmon. It’s so good for you. We buy salmon from Costco that we keep in our deep freeze. It’s individually sealed, and it’s super convenient when cooking for one, or only a few people.
Salmon teriyaki is very easy to make. You flour each side of a salmon filet (you can use almond flour or regular all-purpose flour and it will still taste the same), pan fry it, and then add the teriyaki sauce
Also, I love making homemade teriyaki sauce from scratch. I don’t like the taste of teriyaki sauce that you can find in bottles at the grocery store, so I decided to make homemade Japanese teriyaki sauce using staples we have in the kitchen.
Homemade teriyaki sauce is so easy to make, and only has 4 ingredients – sake (or rice wine, if you don’t have sake), mirin (a must in any Japanese dish), sugar (white or brown sugar work great), and soy sauce.
We usually enjoy teriyaki salmon over rice and served with a bowl of miso soup. So delicious and easy for a quick weeknight dinner.
Easy Japanese Salmon Teriyaki Recipe
- 4 salmon fillets
- salt and pepper, to taste
- all-purpose flour (or almond flour), to coat
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter for frying
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
- 2 tbsp sake (or rice wine)
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp sugar (white or brown)
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- Season the salmon fillets with salt and pepper to taste. Lightly coat each fillet with flour on both sides.
- In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the sauce (sake or rice wine, mirin, sugar, and soy sauce).
- Over medium-heat on the stove, melt the butter in a large frying pan. Add the salmon fillets and cook for 2-3 minutes until they are nicely browned, then flip.
- Add the teriyaki sauce. Flip the salmon as needed, so it's nice and coated in the sauce on both sides. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately over white rice or with vegetables.