Sometimes the best weeknight dinners are the easy ones. Growing up my mom would make Vietnamese stir-fried green beans and egg for us all the time. We dipped it in fish sauce (nuoc cham), and it was part of our regular rotation of side dishes that we ate with our family style dinners.
Vietnamese home meals are typically fairly simple. They aren’t always fancy or complicated. These dishes can’t be ordered at any restaurant. They’re just comfort foods that can be whipped up in less than 15 minutes by the home chef.
In Vietnamese home cooking, we stir-fry a lot of vegetables, and it’s very common to use egg. There’s also a version of this dish that uses bitter melon, sliced thinly.
If you’re making a Vietnamese family-style dinner, you can serve these stir-fried green beans and eggs with a light soup and a meat or fish dish (possible caramelized pork ribs or braised fish). And if there are leftovers the next day, you can stir-fry these with rice and a Chinese sausage or two, and you’ll have fried rice.
And if you’re not a fan of fish sauce, you can dip this with soy sauce and eat with it rice, and it still tastes amazing. Happy eating!
Vietnamese Green Beans and Egg Stir-Fry
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 lb fresh green beans, washed and sliced diagonally
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- Trim and wash your green beans. Cut off the ends and discard. Slice them diagonally (French style). If you do a good job slicing them and they're thin, you can skip the next step.If you aren't great at slicing and they're mostly still whole and plump, blanch them in boiling water for 3-4 minutes.
- Over medium heat, add oil to your pan. Stir-fry with your onions until they're translucent and soft, about 1-2 minutes. Add your green beans and garlic. Sauté until the beans are soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Crack your eggs and them to the pan. Add the fish sauce and stir-fry until the eggs are cooked.
- Remove from heat and eat with rice, dipped in fish sauce or soy sauce.
Angela Lynn Edwards
So easy and yummy!