World's Easiest Instant Pot Cháo Ga Recipe
This is the world’s easiest Instant Pot Vietnamese Rice Porridge (Chao Ga) recipe using frozen chicken breasts.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 2 frozen skinless chicken breasts
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 knob of ginger, peeled
- 1 small or medium onion, peeled
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder (optional)
- Ground black pepper, to taste
Rinse the jasmine rice with cold water. Rinse until the water is clear.
Add the rice, chicken broth, and frozen chicken breasts to the Instant Pot.
Peel and mince the garlic cloves.
Peel the onion and ginger knob.
Add the aromatics to the Instant Pot.
Close the lid. Select Manual, High Pressure and set to 25 Minutes. Let it naturally release if eating later, or manually release it.
If the consistency of the rice porridge (or rice congee) isn’t to your liking, add more water or chicken stock to thin it out using the Saute mode.
Remove the onion and garlic knob from the porridge and discard.
Using kitchen thongs, remove the chicken breasts and shred it before putting back in the porridge.
Serve the Chao Ga with cilantro, chopped basil leaves, or fried shallot (whatever you’d like). Top it with ground black pepper to taste. Enjoy!
- Depending on your preference for thicker thinner porridge, you can adjust the chicken stock amount to your liking. For thicker rice congee, I’d use 4 cups of water. For a thinner consistency, I’d use 8 cups.
- If you want your Instant Pot rice congee to be saltier, add fish sauce to taste.