Easy Hot and Sour Soup
An easy Chinese takeout inspired Hot and Sour soup recipe that takes 15 minutes to make using ingredients you already have in your kitchen.
Servings 4 people
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 knob (1/2 inch) ginger, minced
- 1 carrot, shredded into thin strips
- 1/2 package baby bella (or shiitake) mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 8 oz can bamboo shoots (sliced), drained and rinsed
- 7 cups beef broth (or vegetable broth for a vegetarian soup)
- 6 oz firm tofu, cut into cubes (half a tofu container)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce (optional)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar (or whatever vinegar you have on hand)
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 3 tbsp cornstarch (mixed with 3 tbsp water)
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped (for serving)
Prepare your vegetables and tofu. I shredded my carrot using a vegetable peeler. You can also buy pre-packaged carrot strips. Remove the tofu from the package. Dry it on paper towels. Then cut into bite-sized cubes. I sliced my fresh mushrooms thinly. If you are using dehydrated mushrooms, soak them in boiling water for 20 minutes or until softened. Discard the stems and slice. In a large stock pot, heat your choice of oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger and stir-fry until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.Add the carrots, mushrooms, and bamboo shoots and cook for a few minutes. Add the beef broth and firm tofu. Bring the soup to a boil.In a bowl, stir together the soy sauce, dark soy sauce, rice vinegar, and black pepper. Add to the boiling soup. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes until the vegetables are tender.Taste the soup and season with more vinegar, if you desire a more sour flavor. Add more pepper (or red chili pepper flakes) for a spicy flavor. If the soup is too salty for your preference, add more water.
When the vegetables are cooked to your liking, whisk in the eggs, stirring the soup in a circular motion.
Add the cornstarch slurry and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the soup has thickened slightly.
Remove from heat and serve with chopped green scallions. Enjoy!