Instant Pot Vietnamese Yogurt
A recipe to make Vietnamese Yogurt in the Instant Pot using four simple ingredients: sweetened condensed milk, hot water, plain yogurt with live cultures, and milk. In this recipe, use the condensed milk can to measure the other ingredients.
Servings 10 jars
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk (Longevity Brand is best)
- 1 can boiling hot water
- 2 cans cold milk (whole or low-fat milk work fine)
- 1 can plain yogurt with live active cultures
- 1 cup water for the instant pot
In a large pitcher, mix together the sweetened condensed milk with the boiling water. Stir well until the milk has dissolved. Take milk straight from the fridge and add in two cans worth. (It is very important the milk is cold.)If you have a thermometer, measure the temperature of the mixture. It should be below 130 degrees F. Probiotic bacteria in yogurt dies when heated past 130 degrees. (See note below)* Stir in the yogurt and mix well. Pour the yogurt mixture into clean, sterilized glass jars. Close the lids. Then, place in the Instant Pot. You can stack the jars on top of each other. Add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot. Close the lid (make sure the vent is set to "sealing.") Select "Yogurt" on the Instant Pot. Set for 10 hours and wait. The screen will display "Yogt" when it's done. Place in the refrigerator or freezer when the yogurt is cool. Enjoy!
- If you don't have a thermometer, and you poured cold milk straight from the fridge (you didn't let the milk sit on the counter), you should be fine. When I measured the yogurt, my the temperature was somewhere between 90 and 100 degrees F.