Super Delicious and Easy Orange Chicken Recipe
This is a traditional method of cooking Orange Chicken on the stove. First, you coat the chicken pieces in batter, fry it in hot oil until it's golden, then toss it in a thick and sweet orange sauce over the stove.
- 1 to 2 lbs boneless and skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- oil for frying
For the Batter
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
For the Orange Sauce
- 2 large ripe oranges, juice and zested
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cornstarch mixed with 1 tbsp water for the slurry
- 1-2 whole red Thai chilies (if desired for spiciness), optional
Make the Batter
In a large bowl, combine all the batter ingredients (flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper, egg, oil, and water). Mix until the batter is well-blended.
Add the chicken cubes, making sure everything is well coated.
Fry the Chicken Pieces
Use a deep fryer, if you have one, to fry the chicken pieces.
If you don't have a deep fryer:Add 2-3 inches of oil in a large saucepan.
Fry the batter-coated chicken cubes in small batches, turning halfway. Be sure not to overcrowd the pan. Fry until the chicken is golden brown.
Line a plate with a paper towel. Place the browned chicken on the paper towel, so it soaks up any extra oil. Let rest while you make the sauce.
Toss the Fried Chicken with the Sauce